Tuesday 25 January 2011

Hack'd

Penny Arcade have done a hilarious strip regarding Gabe getting his account hacked. In his post Tycho tells us that Gabe felt MORE violated by the hack than a couple of real-life thefts he'd experienced.

I've not thought about it before but it makes sense. I, too, have experienced a minor real life theft and had my WoW account hacked. I felt significantly more angry at the real-life theft but significantly more upset and violated at Reala's being stripped of her full T9 set and left shivering in a corner of Orgrimmar. The thought of her being used to bark out gold-seller messages sent a chill down my spine and lit a fire in my belly. Making the ambient temperature lukewarm.

Those of us who have been playing for any substantial amount of time have invested a lot in our characters. WoW is integrated in to many player's lives as much more of a hobby than pure recreation. However, in my opinion there are only two types of people who have authenticators, and this comes from my opinion on backing up:

a) Those who are paranoid
b) Those who have lost everything

I'm in column b) on both counts (bye bye 5 years of holiday photos) and so now I have an external hard drive and an authenticator app. If you haven't got one, get one.

~Reala

PS. Guild masters - unless you want a quick and effective way of clearing twenty stacks of Twilight Jasmine out of the guild bank, I suggest not giving guildies without authenticators access.